Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Terrapin 50k


5:30 A.M., 4 hours of sleep and a 50k staring in my face; all I could think was I’m stoked!  I guess most people would call me crazy and I would agree but that is what makes these races exciting.  I hadn’t been thinking about the race to much leading up to that morning but I was sure itching to go.  Meeting Eric Grossman the night before and catching up with Frazier a little bit at check-in, I couldn’t wait for the gong to sound.  I was anticipating a four person battle up front between Frazier, Grossman, Jeremy, and I but was not quite sure what kind of shape I was in. I knew it could be interesting with us newbies battling the experienced vets.
Planning on taking it easy up the first climb I hung back with the pack chatting it up with some of the guys expecting the first to be relatively easy.  I am not going to lie, I was enjoying the conversations but I was bursting at the seams inside to just let loose and fly up the mountain.  Remembering patience is a virtue I stuck it out and continued to stick with the plan.  Near the top people starting dropping off quickly and when I glanced back I realized I had created a small gap with Grossman and Frazier following close behind.  When I got to Camping Gap I knew this is where I wanted to open up and try to create some separation, so I blitzed by the first aid station and headed down the mountain.
To my surprise I learned quickly that Grossman was a really solid downhill runner!  I figured this is where I could pull away and I kept trying to push just a little more without putting forth to much effort.  I realized quickly that he wasn’t going away.  Reading Grossman’s blog I am glad he got a laugh out of me glancing back a few times, because I definitely was trying to gage where he was and getting a little worried that he wasn't fading.  Him being a team member of mine for theaidstation it was fun getting to know him and being able to race against each other for the first time.  There is no question he has got speed and that was shocking to me for a man who is almost twice my age. I thought he would be better suited on the climbs or technical terrain.  I even made comment to Dr. Z at the 3rd aid station laughing, saying "I can’t drop this guy!"  I knew I was in for a battle but didn’t realize it was going to be my climbing ability that would help me distance myself.  I am really coming to find out that it is one of my greatest strengths and it is good thing I enjoy it.
Taking the left hand turn after the 3rd aid station heading up the second climb I began to just settle in and prepare to run a smart race.  I felt smooth and relaxed and tried to stay under control knowing I had a huge climb back up to Camping Gap coming up in just a few miles.  Reaching the single track I glanced back to see my lead had grown quite a bit and I could barely see Grossman now as I headed up the first steep hill on the single track.  The rest of the day I would be running scared, with the steep technical downhill of Terrapin Mountain looming.  I knew I would need a gap because that is definitely not my strong suite to say the least.
The climb back up to Camping Gap felt amazing, everything clicked and I just enjoyed the seclusion of the mountain.  The feeling you get from a long hard climb with the endorphins flowing and the determination and drive to get to the top is something I don’t think I’ll ever stop enjoying.  It was one of my favorite climbs I've done. It is just the perfect steepness to challenge you but at the same time completely run able.  It reminded me a lot of tobacco road a run I use to do some when I ran for Liberty.
Passing by Camping Gap with the Whore Loop just ahead I was feeling great!  I was still running scared not knowing how far back anyone was but my mind began to flip gears to the enjoyment and beauty of the race.  Other things began to creep in my head and the race was just starting to fly by.  I found myself singing the worship song “I will bring praise” over and over again in my head, and embracing the opportunity and the ability to do what I do.  It really is at times like these secluded in the mountains driving myself to dig deeper that I find myself closest to Him.  Reflecting on life and struggles I almost feel as if I am fighting against the sin that seperates us from Him and then just like the song, I realize “God is my victory and He is here.”  It brings about a peace and realization that fighting does nothing if we’re not trusting and following the right source, for He has conquered all.
By the time I got up to the top of the loop to the first punch, I was starting to feel the effects of all the continuous climbing but I still had a pretty good energy level.  I let loose on the downhill heading back towards camping gap and tried to remind myself that I would get a short break from running, hiking up Terrapin Mountain (I don’t care what anyone says it is not run able!!!).  Passing by the Camping Gap aid station again, I was prepared knowing the mountain was just ahead
Reaching their having taking my first gel that had caffeine I was feeling a bit weird.  I was worried trying to figure out if I was crashing or if it was something else.  My legs still felt good and my energy level was fine but I almost felt like my head was floating.  Come to find out after the rest I am not suppose to have caffeine with the medicine I am on for Vagol Syncope.  Unfortunately for me the only gels I had left had caffeine in them so I was going to just have to chance it.  The climb up Terrapin even though it is a hike was definitely to me the hardest part of the race.  My breathing increased dramatically and my legs began to feel it pretty heavily.  I was excited to reach the summit even though I knew my least favorite part was coming up…Fat Man’s Misery and the rock garden on the descent! Surprisingly the descent didn’t seem to steep and I was able to get through Fat Man’s Misery pretty quickly other than forgetting to use the punch and having to turn around. (I think I added a 1/4 mile, it might have been the difference between sub 4 hrs.)  Flying down the steep descent I held my breath that I wouldn't take a tumble or roll an ankle. At the rock garden I slowed up and took it extremely easy.  I figured no reason to ruin anything here, might as well put safety first because I knew I had a lot left in the tank.
Coming in to the last aid station it was great to see my girl and finally shed my hat and gloves.  I can’t say enough for all the support I get from her, theaidstation, family, and the ultra community in general.  This is what makes the sport so special.  Turning back and running up to the single track was the first time I really thought that I am going to win this thing.  I glanced at my watch but wasn’t really sure what the time meant or even how far it was to the finish so I had no idea what kind of time I was heading for.  I felt good but I was still paranoid about bonking after watching Kalib really eat it the last couple miles at Holiday Lake, so I stayed cautious and just kept a steady pace.  The run along the ridge was gorgeous and I just took time to take in the beauty of the lush green valleys below.  Rounding a corner I could hear Reed Creek in the distance and knew it wasn’t far now to the finish.  I still was feeling weird and my head was a bit loopy from the caffeine but I knew I was going to hold it together for a solid race.
Beginning the descent down the trail to Reed Creek Rd. I began to think I didn’t want the race to end!  Coming onto the gravel road I didn’t want to see that mile to go sign but at the same time I thought to myself I got a lot left, let’s see what I can do.  I glanced at my watch as I passed the sign 3:57:26, and thought I feel really good is a sub 5 possible?...I was really trying to push that last ½ mile and began to feel a bit loopy from all the caffeine but sucking it up I kept truckin on.  Coming down the stretch I knew I was going to be short but was still pleased about the final time, as I stopped my watch at 4:02:53 unofficially.  I was definitely surprised at what I was able to do and can’t wait to see what I am capable of with more training and throwing in some workouts.

The post race was great to hang out and chat with a lot of the people of the ultra community and really getting to know them more.  I just want to say thanks to theaidstation for all the support!  Jeremy, and Dr. Z for all the advice, I definitely could not of ran near as fast without your help…all the Aid Station workers for volunteering, and keeping the race running smoothly.  Friends and family for all the support, and training partner Kalib Wilkinson for pushing me along!  Can’t wait for PL, and another shot at Dr. Z’s record!

No comments:

Post a Comment